Red mold is a generic term that refers to over 10,000 types of molds. Red molds are a collection of microbial organisms based on the grouping concept ‘Ascomycota’. They are one of the most common fungal growth problems in houses. They can also grow on other materials as well, including compost, mulch, and natural fibers like cotton and wool.
Red molds are a particular type of mold that can cause some serious health issues if you come into contact with them. In this comprehensive guide, we will discuss everything you need to know about red molds! We will cover what red molds look like, where they grow, how to get rid of them, and more!
What are molds?
Molds are a type of fungus that can be found both indoors and outdoors. There are many types of molds, but the most concerning for homeowners are the molds that can cause health problems. Mold exposure may cause a variety of health effects depending on an individual’s susceptibility. People with asthma or allergies are most likely to experience respiratory problems from red molds.
The red molds are like other microbes except for their color–so what makes them stand out? Molds develop all over the house in damp places where there is an excess of moisture because of condensation or leakage. Molds can also thrive in dry areas if they are warm and humid.
Types of Red mold
There are many types of red molds, but the most common type of red mold is called ‘Serpula lacrymans’. This type of mold is often found in damp areas, such as basements or crawl spaces. It can also be found in attics and on walls. Serpula lacrymans is a destructive type of mold because it breaks down wood and other organic materials.
Another common type of red mold is called ‘Stachybotrys chartarum’. This type of mold is often found in water-damaged homes or buildings. It can grow on drywall, paper, insulation, and dust. Stachybotrys chartarum produces toxins that can cause serious health problems if you are exposed to them.
Red molds can also cause problems if you are exposed to them outdoors. Some common outdoor red molds include ‘Aspergillus’, ‘Penicillium’, and ‘Fusarium’. These molds can grow on plants, fruits, and vegetables. They can also contaminate food sources.
What causes red mold ?
- The most common cause of red mold is a type of fungi called Serpula lacrymans. This fungi thrives in damp, warm conditions and is often found in buildings that have poor ventilation or humidifiers. The spores of this fungi are released into the air and can be inhaled, causing respiratory problems. In severe cases, red mold can cause death.
- Another cause of red mold is the bacteria known as Pseudomonas aeruginosa. This bacterium is often found in water and soil and can cause infections in humans, animals, and plants. These bacteria can also be found on surfaces that are not cleaned properly, such as countertops or cutting boards. If ingested, these bacteria can cause food poisoning.
- Red molds can also be caused by environmental factors such as water damage, flooding, and high humidity. The molds will grow in these environments because they need moisture to thrive.
How to identify red molds?
The best way to identify a red mold is by its color. Red molds have a reddish-brown or black coloration. They may also have a slimy appearance. You can usually find red molds in damp areas of your home, such as the basement, crawl space, attic, or walls.
If you think you may have a red mold problem, it is important to have it identified by a professional. A professional mold inspector or mold remediation company can take a sample of the mold and have it analyzed in a laboratory.
In the next section, we will discuss the health effects of red molds and how to get rid of them! Stay tuned for our comprehensive guide to red molds!
The health effects of red molds
Red molds can cause a variety of health issues depending on an individual’s susceptibility. People with asthma or allergies are most likely to experience respiratory problems from red molds.
There are several potential health risks associated with red molds. These risks vary depending on the type of mold, the extent of the infestation, and the duration and severity of exposure. Some common health risks include respiratory problems, allergies, asthma attacks, and infections.
Red molds can also cause skin irritation, eye irritation, and nausea. In some cases, red molds can be fatal if you are exposed to them for a long period of time.
If you think you have been exposed to red molds, it is important to see a doctor right away. The doctor will be able to determine if you have any health problems related to the exposure.
Red mold Infestation
Red mold infestation is a common occurrence in both indoor and outdoor environments. They can grow on a variety of surfaces, including wood, paper, carpet, food, and insulation.
Signs of red mold infestation
- Red molds are often easy to spot because of their bright red color.
- Infested areas will typically smell musty or earthy.
- Experiencing health symptoms of red molds exposure. The symptoms will be explained later on in this guide.
Symptoms of red molds exposure:
The most common symptoms of red mold exposure:
- watery eyes
- skin irritation
How is it treated?
There is no specific treatment for red mold exposure. However, there are ways to relieve your symptoms and prevent the molds from growing. If you have respiratory problems, your doctor may prescribe inhalers or steroids. If you have skin rashes, your doctor may prescribe creams or ointments. And if you have eye irritation, your doctor may prescribe eye drops.
How to get rid of red molds?
The best way to get rid of red molds is by hiring a professional mold remediation company. These companies have the equipment and expertise necessary to safely remove the mold from your home or building. It is important that the company you hire is experienced in mold remediation and has an excellent reputation.
If you have a small red mold problem, you may remove the mold yourself. However, it is important to take precautions to avoid spreading the mold. You should wear protective clothing, such as gloves and a face mask when handling the mold.
Process of getting rid of red molds
Once you’ve identified that you have a red mold problem, it’s important to take action to remove it as soon as possible. Red molds can cause serious health problems, so it’s not worth taking any risks.
There are a few different ways to get rid of red molds. You can use chemical cleaners, natural cleaners, or a combination of both. Chemical cleaners will usually be more effective, but they can also be harsher on your skin and respiratory system. Natural cleaners are often less effective, but they’re much safer to use.
If you decide to use chemical cleaners, make sure that you follow the instructions carefully.
- Wear gloves and a mask to protect yourself from the fumes
- Open all the windows to ventilate the area.
- Once you’ve finished cleaning, be sure to wash all of your clothes and bedding in hot water.
If you decide to use natural cleaners, there are a few different recipes that you can try. One popular option is to mix equal parts vinegar and water, and then add a few drops of tea tree oil.
Another option is to mix baking soda with water until it forms a paste, and then apply that to the affected areas. Whichever method you choose, be sure to scrub the area thoroughly before rinsing it clean.
Once you’ve removed the red molds from your home, it’s important to take steps to prevent them from coming back. Sure to keep your house clean and dry, and fix any leaks or plumbing problems.
Safety precaution when getting rid of red molds
When it comes to molds, it is always better to be safe than sorry. When getting rid of red molds, make sure to:
- Wear gloves, long sleeves, and a face mask.
- Start by mixing one part bleach with four parts water in a bucket. Then, use a sponge or brush to apply the mixture to the moldy areas. Be sure to scrub thoroughly.
- Once you’ve scrubbed the area clean, rinse it with clean water. You may need to do this several times to remove all traces of the bleach solution. Finally, dry the area completely to prevent future mold growth. Repeat this process as necessary until the mold is gone for good!
- Ventilate the area as much as possible.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals.
- Dispose of any materials you used in sealed bags.
Red molds can cause serious health problems if you are exposed to them. It is important to identify red molds early and take steps to remove them from your home or building. If you think you have been exposed to red molds, it is essential to see a doctor right away.