Mold spores are everywhere, and at some point in time, you may come into contact with them. While most molds are harmless, there are a few types that can cause health problems. Grey mold is one of those types. In this guide, we will discuss what grey mold is, the dangers associated with it, how to get rid of it if you have it in your home, the symptoms of exposure, and how to protect yourself from it.

What is grey mold and how do you identify it?

Grey mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is a type of fungi that thrives in damp, humid environments. It can be found indoors and outdoors, and it commonly grows on organic materials like wood, paper, insulation, and carpeting.

Grey mold can range in color from black to white and sometimes has a greenish tinge. If you suspect you have grey mold in your home, it’s important to have it identified by a professional as soon as possible.

Grey mold is a fungal disease that causes large areas of rot on many fruits and vegetables. It is especially common on strawberries, raspberries and tomatoes, but can affect any fruit or vegetable. Grey mold can also affect flowers, ornamentals and some houseplants.

Affected plants may have watery spots, which turn into grayish-brown lesions that enlarge and become covered with a fuzzy gray mold. Lesions may expand to cover the entire fruit or vegetable. A white to brownish cottony growth may also be seen around the lesions; this is called mycelium.

What causes grey mold?

Grey mold is a type of fungus called botrytis. It attacks plants that are stressed or weakened, like those growing in cool, damp conditions. Too much shade or crowding can encourage grey mold in the garden. Many vegetables and flowers are susceptible, but roses and strawberries are most often affected.

What are the dangers associated with grey mold?

For most people, coming into contact with grey mold won’t cause any health problems. However, for some people, particularly those with respiratory conditions like or allergies – exposure to grey mold can cause a wide range of health problems, including:

  • Respiratory problems
  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Itching or burning eyes
  • Skin rashes


If you think you’ve been exposed to grey mold, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible.

How do you protect yourself from grey mold?

The best way to protect yourself from grey mold is to prevent it from growing in your home in the first place. To do this, you need to keep your home clean and dry, and ventilate areas that tend to be damp – like bathrooms and laundry rooms.

You should also avoid contact with any materials that may be contaminated with grey mold.

If you choose to remove the mold yourself, make sure you wear protective gear, like a mask, gloves, and goggles.

How do I control grey mold?

Grey mold is often found in greenhouses and other enclosed spaces, because it thrives in high humidity conditions.

  1. Maintain good airflow by spacing plants properly and keeping canopies dry.
  2. Adequate sunlight will help keep foliage dry as well.
  3. Good sanitation practices will help prevent grey mold from becoming established inside your greenhouse. This means removing dead plant material from the soil or planting containers, as well as cleaning benches where plants are growing or displayed for sale.
  4. If you do find grey mold in your garden, remove the infected plants and discard them properly. Do not compost them!


Grey mold can also be found outdoors, but it survives winter in debris such as old leaves and rotting fruits or vegetables left in the garden over winter. These should be removed and composted in the spring.

What are the symptoms of exposure to grey mold?

Symptoms of exposure to grey mold vary depending on how much contact a person has had with the spores. They can range from a stuffy nose and watery eyes to more serious reactions, such as difficulty breathing. People with asthma or other respiratory conditions may be especially susceptible to the effects of grey mold.

Grey mold exposure symptoms include:

  1. Reaction
  2. Asthma
  3. Respiratory condition


What are the signs of grey mold infestation?

The most common sign of a grey mold infestation include:

Presence of dark, fuzzy patches on surfaces

These patches are usually grey or black in color, and they can vary in size. If you see these patches on any surface in your home, it’s important to take action immediately to prevent the spread of the mold.

Musty smell

Another sign of a grey mold infestation is a musty smell. This odor is caused by the spores that are released into the air by the mold. If you notice a musty smell in your home, it’s a good idea to investigate further to see if there is mold present.

Wet brown spots on stems or leaves

If you see wet brown spots on the stems or leaves of plants, it could be a sign of grey mold infestation. These spots are caused by the mold’s growth on the plant. If you notice any of these signs, take action to get rid of the mold immediately.

Flower buds blackened and shrivelled

If the flowers on your plants start to blacken and shrivel, it could be a sign that they’re being affected by grey mold. This can occur when the mold starts to grow on the flower buds.

Soft rotting of fruits and vegetables

If you notice that your fruits and vegetables are softening and rotting, it could be a sign of grey mold infestation. The mold will cause the produce to rot and decay, making it unsafe to eat.

Can you remove grey mold yourself?

The answer is maybe. If the mold growth is less than about ten square feet and if you have the proper safety equipment, cleaning it yourself is possible. However, if the mold growth is any larger or if you do not have the proper safety gear, it’s best to leave it to a professional.

Safety measures  are important when removing any kind of mold, as the spores can be harmful to your health. Make sure you are wearing a respirator, gloves, and eye protection before starting. If you have long hair, tie it back so that it doesn’t come into contact with the mold.

How do you remove the grey mold?

The first step in removing grey mold is identifying the source of the problem. Once you know where the mold is coming from, you can take steps to remove it and prevent it from returning.

If the mold is growing on a surface, you can clean it with a diluted bleach solution (one part bleach to nine parts water). Be sure to rinse the area thoroughly afterwards.

If the mold is growing on a porous surface, such as wood or drywall, you will need to remove and replace the affected materials.

You can prevent grey mold from returning by fixing any leaks or other sources of moisture in your home. Be sure to keep your home clean and free of clutter where mold can grow. Regularly check for signs of mold and take action immediately if you find it. With a little effort, you can keep your home healthy and free of grey mold.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the best treatment for gray mold?

The best way  to deal with gray mold is to prevent it in the first place. Keep your home clean and dry, and make sure there is plenty of ventilation. If you do find gray mold, you can treat it with bleach or another disinfectant. You should also fix any leaks or other sources of moisture in your home.

Can gray mold kill plants?

Gray mold can kill plants if it is left untreated. The best way to prevent gray mold from killing your plants is to water them properly and keep the area around them clean. If you do find gray mold on your plants, you can remove it with a sterile knife or by spraying it with a fungicide.

What does gray mold look like?

Gray mold usually looks like fuzzy white patches on plants or other surfaces. It can also look like a black, thread-like substance.

Is gray mold contagious?

Gray mold is not usually contagious, but it can cause skin irritation in some people. If you are experiencing any symptoms after exposure to gray mold, please see a doctor.

Is gray mold dangerous to humans?

Gray mold is usually not dangerous to humans, but it can cause skin irritation in some people. If you are experiencing any symptoms after exposure to gray mold, please see a doctor.


Grey mold is a type of fungus that can grow on various types of surfaces. It is often found in damp or humid environments and can cause serious health problems if inhaled. If you think you may have come into contact with grey mold, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

Grey mold can be very difficult to get rid of once it has taken hold. If you suspect that your home or office may be contaminated, it is important to call in a professional to assess the situation and determine the best course of action. With proper treatment, however, grey mold can be removed and does not have to pose a serious threat to your health.