Moldy coffee may seem like an odd thing to worry about, but it’s actually a very real concern. If you drink coffee that has been contaminated with black mold, you could end up experiencing some nasty side effects.

In this guide, we will discuss what happens if you drink moldy coffee, as well as the health risks associated with it. We will also provide some tips for avoiding moldy coffee in the future.

What is Black Mold?

Black mold is a type of fungi that can grow in damp and humid environments. This mold can be found in both homes and businesses, and it thrives in warm temperatures.

Coffee beans are a common food source for black mold, which is why this type of mold is often found in coffee shops and homes where coffee is consumed on a regular basis.

When black mold spores land on coffee beans, they can begin to grow and multiply. The resulting moldy coffee beans can contaminate the entire batch of coffee.

The danger of Drinking Moldy Coffee

When black mold spores are ingested, they can cause a variety of health problems. Here are some of the most common side effects associated with drinking moldy coffee:

Allergic reactions

Some people are allergic to black mold spores. If you drink moldy coffee and are allergic to black mold, you could experience symptoms like wheezing, difficulty breathing, and watery eyes.

Gastrointestinal problems

Drinking moldy coffee can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can even lead to gastrointestinal bleeding. This is because the black mold spores can damage the lining of your gastrointestinal tract.

Systemic infections

In rare cases, black mold spores can enter your bloodstream and cause a serious infection. This is most likely to occur in people with weakened immune systems. Systemic infections can be life-threatening if they are not treated promptly.

Immune system problems

Black mold spores can weaken your immune system, leaving you susceptible to other infections and illnesses. The long-term effects of black mold exposure are not well understood, but it is believed that it can cause chronic health problems.

Neurological problems

Some people who drink moldy coffee experience headaches, dizziness, and memory problems. In severe cases, black mold poisoning can lead to seizures and even comas. If you experience any of these symptoms after drinking moldy coffee, seek medical attention immediately.

These are just some of the potential health risks associated with drinking moldy coffee. As you can see, it’s very important to make sure that your coffee is free from black mold before you drink it.

Tips for Avoiding Moldy Coffee

Now that you know the dangers of drinking moldy coffee, let’s discuss some tips for avoiding it. Here are a few things you can do to avoid black mold in your coffee:

  1. Store coffee beans in a cool, dry place – Coffee beans should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Coffee mold spores thrive in warm, humid environments.
  2. Check coffee beans for mold before brewing – Before you brew a pot of coffee, check the beans for signs of mold. If you see any mold on the beans, discard them immediately. If you find that many of the beans have mold on them, it may be best to discard the whole batch, as it’s better to be safe than sorry.
  3. Use filtered water – When brewing coffee, always use filtered water. It will help remove any impurities that could lead to the growth of black mold.
  4. Clean and disinfect your coffee pot regularly – Be sure to clean and disinfect your coffee pot on a regular basis. This can help prevent the buildup of mold spores.
  5. Avoid using old coffee beans – Old coffee beans are more likely to be contaminated with mold. Try to use fresh coffee beans whenever possible.
  6. Buy coffee beans from a reputable source – When buying coffee beans, be sure to buy them from a reputable source. This will help ensure that the beans are of high quality, and less likely to be contaminated with black mold.
  7. Do not buy pre-ground coffee – Pre-ground coffee is more likely to be contaminated with mold. If you can, buy whole coffee beans, and grind them yourself.

These are just a few tips to help you avoid black mold in your coffee. By following these tips, you can help ensure that your coffee is safe to drink.

So What Really Happens If You Drink Moldy Coffee?

First and foremost, it’s important to realize that not all mold is the same. Some types of mold can cause serious health problems, while others are relatively harmless. Black mold falls into the latter category.

That being said, black mold can still cause some pretty unpleasant side effects if you’re unlucky enough to drink coffee that’s been contaminated with it. If you accidentally drink moldy coffee, you’re likely to experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. You might also have a headache, dizziness, and trouble breathing.

These symptoms are the result of your body’s reaction to the toxins produced by black mold. In most cases, they’ll go away on their own within a day or two.

Do you Really Need to Clean the Coffee Maker with Bleach?

It is not necessary to clean the coffee maker with bleach. You can clean it with vinegar, or any other natural disinfectant.

However, if you have a severe mold problem, you may need to use bleach to get rid of the mold. Bleach will kill mold spores, and help prevent them from coming back. Just be sure to clean and rinse the coffee maker thoroughly afterwards to remove and bleach residue.

Frequently Asked Questions

What makes coffee mold-free?

There are several things that can help keep coffee mold-free. These include storing coffee in a cool, dry place, using fresh beans, and grinding the beans just before brewing. Best mold-free coffee can be achieved by using these tips.

Are coffee grounds good for mold?

No, coffee grounds are not good for mold. Mold thrives in damp environments, so the moist coffee grounds can actually make the problem worse. If you notice mold on your coffee grounds, it’s important to throw them away and start fresh.

Do green coffee beans have black mold?

Green coffee beans can have black mold, but it’s less common in roasted coffee beans. This is because the roasting process kills mold spores. However, if roasted coffee beans are not stored properly, they can become contaminated with mold.

Does black mold in coffee make you sick?

Drinking coffee with black mold can make you sick. Mold can produce toxins that can cause respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and gastrointestinal issues. If you start to experience any of these symptoms after drinking coffee, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible.

How do coffee mold spores present themselves?

Coffee mold spores are usually invisible to the naked eye. However, they can sometimes be seen as small black specks on coffee beans or grinds. The spores can also be found in the air, on surfaces, or in the dust.

Does black mold cause liver cancer?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that black mold causes liver cancer. However, some people believe that exposure to black mold can lead to a variety of health problems, including liver damage.


Drinking coffee with black mold can have some serious side effects. If you experience any of the symptoms listed above, it’s important to see a doctor right away. Mold exposure can be very dangerous, and it’s important to take precautions to avoid it. By following these aforementioned tips, however, you should be able to prevent this from being a problem you have to face.