Mold on food is never a good thing. In fact, it can be quite dangerous. If you are not sure what to do if you find mold on your food, don’t worry – we are here to help.

In this guide, we will discuss the dangers of eating moldy food, and what you can do to avoid it. So read on, and always remember to be aware of what foods you consume at all times in order to stay safe.

What is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungi that can grow on food. It typically appears as a white, green, or black fuzzy substance. When mold grows on food, it can make the food spoil and become inedible.

Mold spores are present in the air around us, so it is impossible to avoid them completely. However, mold can only grow on food that is moist, so it is important to keep your food dry.

Mold also needs oxygen to grow, so storing food in an airtight container can help prevent it from growing.

What Happens if You Eat Mold?

If ever you accidentally eat moldy food, don’t panic. In most cases, you’ll just experience some nausea and vomiting.

However, if you’re allergic to mold or have a suppressed immune system, you could develop a more serious infection. Here are some of the health problems that can be caused by eating moldy food:

  1. Allergic reactions – Some people are allergic to mold spores. Eating moldy food can cause symptoms such as itchiness, sneezing, watery eyes, and difficulty breathing.
  2. Digestive problems – Moldy food can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can also irritate the lining of your stomach, which can lead to abdominal pain.
  3. Respiratory problems – If you inhale mold spores, they can settle in your lungs and cause respiratory problems. Symptoms include coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing.
  4. Mycotoxin poisoning – Mycotoxins are toxins produced by some types of mold. Eating food contaminated with mycotoxins can cause serious illnesses, including liver damage, kidney damage, and cancer.


Can You Just Cut Around the Mold?

Unfortunately, no. Mold produces spores, which are tiny airborne particles that can spread quickly, and cause new mold growth.

So even if you cut off the visible mold, there could still be mold spores present on the food. These spores can cause all of the same health problems as eating moldy food. Overall, the potential health risks are just not worth the risk, so it is best to throw away any food that has mold on it.

Why does Food Develop Mold?

Mold develops on food when it is left out in warm and humid conditions for too long. The spores of mold are found everywhere, such as on fruits, vegetables, and even in the air. When these spores land on moist surfaces, they begin to grow and reproduce.

Mold develops more quickly in some foods than in others. Bread, for example, is a common food that develops mold quickly. This is because bread is made with yeast, which is a type of fungus. Mold also grows well on dairy products, meats, and cooked vegetables.

Signs that Food has Gone Bad

In addition to mold, there are other signs that food has gone bad. These include:

  • A change in color – Fruits and vegetables that have gone bad will often change color. For example, apples may turn brown, and bananas may turn black.
  • A change in texture – Bad food will often have a different texture than fresh food. For example, moldy bread may become hard or mushy, cheese may become stringy, and firm fruits may become soft fruits.
  • An unpleasant odor – If food smells bad, it is probably spoiled. This is especially true for meat and fish.

If you see any of these signs, it’s best to throw the food away. Eating spoiled food can cause the same health problems as eating moldy food.

Preventing Mold from Growing on Food

Moldy food can be dangerous, so it’s important to take steps to prevent it from growing. Here are some tips to do just that:

Tip 1 – Keep food covered

One of the best ways to prevent mold is to keep food covered. This will help keep airborne spores from landing on your food, and causing mold to grow. The best way to cover food is to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, or place it in a covered container.

Tip 2 – Store food in the fridge

Mold loves warm and humid conditions, so storing food in the fridge can help prevent it from growing. If you do find mold on food that’s been stored in the fridge, it’s best to throw it away immediately.

Tip 3 – Inspect food before you eat it

It’s always a good idea to inspect food before you eat it. If you see any mold growing on it, it’s best to discard the food. It’s also important to smell food before you eat it, as mold can often cause food to spoil and develop an unpleasant odor.

Tip 4 – Clean up spills quickly

Mold can also grow on surfaces, so it’s important to clean up spills quickly. This will help prevent the growth of mold spores. Be sure to use a disinfectant to clean up spills, as this will help kill any mold that may be present.

Tip 5 – Keep your kitchen clean

Mold can also grow in kitchens, so it’s important to keep them clean. Be sure to wipe down surfaces with a disinfectant on a regular basis. You should also empty the garbage regularly, as well as sweep and mop the floors.

Tip 6 – Don’t let moldy food touch other food

If you find mold on one food, it’s important to make sure that it doesn’t touch other food. This is because mold can spread quickly, and cause other food to become contaminated. If you find mold on food, be sure to discard it immediately.

How Long After Eating Mold Will You Get Sick?

If you’re wondering how long it takes to feel the effects of eating mold, the answer is unfortunately not straightforward.

While some people may experience symptoms within a few hours of consuming moldy food, it can take days or even weeks for others to start feeling ill. And in some cases, people may never experience any ill effects from eating moldy food at all. This, however, does not necessarily mean that no damage was caused to your health. Ultimately, prevention is better than the cure. However, if you do suspect that you’ve consumed mold, be sure to seek medical assistance immediately, as it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

When to Seek Medical Help?

If you experience any of the following symptoms after eating moldy food, it’s important to seek medical help immediately:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Swelling of the throat or tongue
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Fever

These are all signs that you may be experiencing an allergic reaction to mold. If you or any of your loved ones are experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to seek medical help as soon as possible.

Different Types of Mold

There are many different types of mold, and some are more dangerous than others. The type of mold that’s growing on your food will determine how dangerous it is. Here are some of the most common types of mold:


This type of mold is used to make antibiotics such as penicillin. It’s also used to make cheese. Penicillium is generally considered to be safe, but some people may be allergic to it.


This type of mold is often found in soil and in food. It’s used to make soy sauce, miso, and sake. Some people are allergic to Aspergillus, and it can cause respiratory problems.


It is often found in indoor environments such as homes and offices. It can cause allergies and respiratory problems.


This common mold is often found in homes, and can cause hay fever or asthma attacks in sensitive individuals. While Alternaria is not generally considered a foodborne mold, it can sometimes be found in fruits and vegetables.


Often called “black mold”, it is a type of mold that can cause serious health problems. If you have black mold in your home, it’s important to get rid of it immediately.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does mold allergy go away?

Mold allergies can be treated, but they are not curable. If you have a mold allergy, you will need to take steps to avoid exposure to mold, and to treat your symptoms when they occur.

Can you survive eating moldy foods?

Yes, in most cases, you will not get sick from eating moldy food. However, there are some exceptions. If you have a weakened immune system or are allergic to mold, you may experience some serious effects from consuming moldy food.

Do grain and nut crops need mold to grow?

Mold is not necessary for grain and nut crops to grow. However, mold can often be found in these types of food. This is because mold loves warm, humid conditions.

Does black mold release poisonous substances?

Black mold produces toxins called mycotoxins. These toxins can cause a range of health problems, including respiratory infections, headaches, and nausea. In severe cases, black mold exposure can even lead to death.

Does a healthy immune system prevent you from getting sick after eating mold?

The short answer is: maybe. A healthy immune system can help fight off the infection, but it’s not a guarantee. Eating mold can cause an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea in some people. In others, it might cause more serious reactions like fever and difficulty breathing.


Eating moldy food can be dangerous, and can cause the same health problems as eating spoiled food. It’s important to take steps to prevent mold from growing on food, such as keeping it covered, storing it in the fridge, and inspecting it before you eat it. If you suspect that you or any of your loved ones have consumed mold, be sure to seek medical assistance.