Mold is one of the most dangerous things that can enter your home. This fungus is a threat to your health, and it can cause serious damage to the building structure of your house if it is not taken care of properly. Unfortunately, mold can be hard to destroy because it thrives in moist areas such as basements and bathrooms.

Additionally, some strains of mold are resistant to conventional methods of removal. However, there are ways to prevent and treat mold in your home. One method that you may have heard about is ultraviolet light for killing mold. Is this truly effective?

In this guide, we will explore the answer to that question. We will also discuss how UV light can be used to prevent mold from growing in the first place.

What is UV Light?

A UV light is a type of lamp that emits ultraviolet radiation. This radiation can kill mold spores and prevent them from growing into full-blown mold colonies.

Ultraviolet (UV) light is a type of energy found in sunlight that has powerful germicidal properties. It kills microorganisms by damaging their DNA and preventing them from reproducing (1Trusted Source).

UV lights are often used in hospitals and other sterile environments to sterilize surfaces and prevent the spread of infection.

UV Light for Killing Mold: Does It Work?

Ultraviolet light has a proven track record for killing harmful microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses. What many people do not realize is that UV light also works on fungi such as mold and mildew.

Some people use UV light bulbs in their refrigerators because they destroy the growth of bacteria in meat and other foods, extending their shelf life. The same principle applies to mold spores in your home. In fact, sterilizing rooms with UV light is one way that hospitals ensure that infection does not spread from patient to patient or room to room.

Hospitals have been using heavy-duty UV lights for decades with great success. However, these lights are not practical for use in the home because they require special equipment and training to operate safely.

Fortunately, there are now portable UV lights that are specifically designed for mold removal. These lights are much smaller and easier to use than the industrial-strength UV lights used in hospitals.

Portable UV lights emit a high intensity of ultraviolet light that is strong enough to kill mold spores. The light is focused on an area where mold is present, and it will kill the spores without harming people or pets (as long as they are not in direct contact with the light).

UV light can be used to treat large areas of mold growth, or it can be used to target specific spots of mold. It is a safe and effective way to kill mold, and it does not require the use of harsh chemicals.

However, it is important to note that UV light will not remove mold from surfaces. It will only kill the spores, so you will still need to clean the area where the mold was growing.

So, does UV light kill mold?

The answer is yes – but it’s not a foolproof method. Mold spores are notoriously resilient, and they can often survive exposure to UV light. That’s why it’s important to use other methods of mold removal in addition to UV light, such as scrubbing surfaces with soap and water or using a natural mold killer.

How does UV Light kill mold?

Mold spores are very tiny, and they float through the air until they find a suitable place to land and grow. When a spore comes into contact with UV light, the radiation damages the DNA of the spore. This damage prevents the spore from being able to reproduce, which stops it from growing into a full-fledged mold colony.

How does UV Light prevent mold?

Besides killing existing mold growth, UV light can also be used to prevent mold from growing in the first place. This is because UV light disrupts the reproductive cycle of mold spores (trusted source).

When spores are exposed to ultraviolet radiation, they are unable to germinate and form new colonies. This means that they cannot reproduce and spread throughout your home.

By using UV light, you can create a mold-free environment that will not allow spores to grow and spread. This is an ideal solution for people who are allergic to mold or who want to prevent mold from growing in their home.

Portable UV lights are available that can be used in small spaces such as closets, drawers, and cabinets. These lights emit a low level of UV radiation that will prevent mold spores from germinating without harming people or pets.

You can also purchase larger UV lights that are designed for use in basements, attics, and crawl spaces. These lights emit a higher level of ultraviolet radiation that will kill mold spores on contact.

What type of UV light do you need?

There are several types of UV light bulbs on the market; they range from short waves to long waves and low-pressure lamps.

The most effective type of lamp is a low-pressure mercury-vapour lamp that produces long wave UV radiation at 253.7 nanometers (nm). This type of bulb is highly effective at damaging the DNA of microbes like bacteria and viruses, which causes them to die or become inactive.

Other types of lamps do not kill mold effectively because they don’t produce enough UV radiation or their wavelength isn’t effective against mold and mildew.

How do you use UV light to kill mold?

To use UV light to kill mold, you will need to purchase a UV light that is specifically designed for this purpose. These lights are usually handheld and relatively inexpensive.

Once you have your light, simply turn it on and aim it at the areas of concern. The UV light will penetrate the cell walls of the mold spores and kill them within seconds. 

Keep in mind that UV light will not kill mold that is hidden from view, so be sure to thoroughly inspect your home for any potential problem areas.

In order for UV lights to be successful at killing airborne molds, however, you must install enough fixtures to cover every square foot of surface area in your space. Otherwise, mold spores will only be killed where the light hits them directly.

You should also keep in mind that UV light can be harmful to your skin and eyes, so be sure to wear protective clothing and goggles when using this method to kill mold.

Professional tips for using UV light to kill mold

Make sure there is no standing water.

Anywhere that there is mold, there is bound to be some moisture. In order for the UV light to effectively kill the mold, you will need to make sure that there is no standing water. This means that you will need to dry out the area completely before you start using the UV light.

Turn off all gas and pilot lights

Another safety precaution that you need to take before using UV light is to make sure that all gas and pilot lights are turned off. The last thing that you want is for a fire to start while you are trying to kill mold.

Wear proper eye protection

You should also wear proper eye protection when using UV light to kill mold. This will help protect your eyes from the harmful UV rays.

Be sure to keep the area well ventilated

It is also important to make sure that the area you are using the UV light in is well ventilated. This will help to prevent any harmful chemicals from being released into the air.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does UV light kill all types of mold?

UV light can kill most types of mold, but it may not be effective against all types. For example, black mold is more resistant to UV light than other types of mold. If you’re concerned about a particular type of mold, it’s best to consult with a professional before using UV light to remove it.

What are the benefits of using UV light to kill mold?

UV light is a natural and effective way to kill mold. It doesn’t require the use of harsh chemicals, and it’s safe for most surfaces.

Are there any risks associated with using UV light to kill mold?

Yes, there are some risks associated with using UV light to kill mold. If you’re not careful, you could damage your skin or eyes. Make sure to wear protective clothing and eyewear when using UV light to remove mold.


So, does UV light kill mold? The answer is yes – but it’s not a cure-all. While UV light can help to control mold growth, it’s important to remember that mold spores are always present in the air around us. That means that even if you do manage to get rid of all the mold in your home, there’s always a chance that new mold will start growing again.

That’s why it’s so important to take preventive measures against mold growth, such as keeping your home clean and dry. If you do find yourself with a mold problem, though, don’t despair – UV light can help you get rid of it for good. Just remember to take other precautions as well, and you’ll be able to keep your home mold-free.